I want to apologize again for making such a delayed blog entry. Things have been very busy around these parts and I have had limited internet, but I want to give you all one big update before traveling begins!
Last week at school (December 5-9th) was a great one and my last week actually teaching the class lessons. My vice principal needed to complete an evaluation of my teaching and participation at St. Patrick's to submit to Indiana University. I invited her to come in to watch and participate in a special science lesson I planned for the students involving fake snow. Now, snow you say in Australia, during the summer? YES. I had brought over from the States "Insta-Snow" powder that I had bought from the teacher education store. It is actually a super absorbent polymer that swells when water is added to it. This swelling process is also known as osmosis. The students were amazed watching the little white crystalize powder transform like magic into what appeared to be snow. I then explained to them how real snow is made and what December in Indiana can look like. I sent them all home with really nerdy pencils explaining the scientific process of how snowflakes were made. :)
I also had the opportunity that week to visit my host sister, Emily's school. She teaches year three students at a Catholic school near by in a city called Woy Woy. I planned a literacy lesson where I read the students the famous "T'was the Night Before Christmas," did a lesson on rhyming couplets, and had them make an acrostic poem using the word "Santa." It was a wonderful experience being able to observe and teach in another Catholic school here in Australia. It is amazing how intrigued young people are by the sound of the American accent.
Last Friday the Goodways had their company holiday party and I was able to capture this lovely family photo of us!
Cherie, Jake, Michael, Me, Emily
On Sunday I had the privilege of submitting my LAST assignment ever to Indiana University! It was the final field report in which was needed to complete the overseas component of the student teaching course. I will now officially be an IU graduate at the upcoming December ceremony in Bloomington. However, rather than walking across the commencement stage I will be doing bush walking in the Outback instead! Seems like a super awesome trade to me! But, being able to "walk" back in May with all of my friends was the perfect way to celebrate my time in at IU.
Now up to this past school week, it was full of dance concert practice all day Monday for the students as each year rehearsed their routine they had been working on for over a month. The theme of the holiday concert was "a child's bedroom." This was rather clever as the performances included super heroes, Barbies, The Jungle Book, picture frames, Super Mario Brothers, board games, and Ipods. The teachers even got crafty and threw together a performance impersonating Lady Gaga, The Beegees, The Spice Girls, Justin Bieber, and Abba. They kids loved it! I was a "Gagaette." We had a blast!
My lovely year 6 dancers
Can you find me?
On Tuesday the year six students went on their “Fun Day” where the students were bused to an indoor sport facility in a near by town. Here students were able to participate in 9 physical activities ranging from: wheelchair basketball, soccer, field hockey, table tennis, air hockey, basketball, trampoline jumping, and jumping into a huge foam pit. The foam pit was very similar in concept to a ball pit one would find in McDonalds. The kids wanted me to run and jump into it, but I took one smell of it and decided to pass. I participated in the rest of the activities though and wheelchair basketball gave my arms a workout let me tell you!
YAY INDIANA SHIRTS!
The foam pit!
Wednesday the weather was just perfect allowing for our year six students to finally have their Surf Day at Terrigal Beach. It was meant to be on our Thanksgiving but was unfortunately rained out. So the kids were extra excited that it was a green light this time! The year six students were lead through six various activities by surf certified instructors, making the teachers’ job of supervising along the beach easy! It is such an awesome opportunity for kids to learn beach and surf safety along with teaching students basic boogie boarding skills. It almost seemed surreal to be “at school,” and having an absolute blast on the beach with such a beautiful group of students. What a rough life!
Thursday involved the students packing up their belongings and cleaning out their cubbies. I was also able to attend a special fish and chips lunch at a local beachfront establishment that donates lunch to two students from each year at St. Patrick’s at the end of every school year. It was great fun getting to talk to some of the students from the infant’s side (Kindie, 1, and 2) whom I have never seen before. I was guessed to be from America or South Africa; they claimed they couldn’t remember how to tell the difference between the two. How cute. Upon arriving back at school the entire year six students and teachers tricked me by saying they were setting up a party to have with their kinder buddies, but it was really a surprise for me! The kids had all brought it cupcakes, lollies, chips, watermelon, mangos, and a dad made a vanilla cake with caramel filling that was absolutely delicious. I was given such thoughtful and sweet cards and gifts by my students thanking me for teaching them so many cool things about America and making my lessons I taught them so fun. Music to my ears. Today was the last day and it was filled by gift giving and receiving all day. I left school with bag fulls of chocolates, wine, mugs, books, and a precious stuffed animal koala bear to be my "travel buddy." :) My students were so thoughtful in their notes and actions. It has not yet set in that I will no longer be their teacher. The day ended with a lovely mass and as some students started to cry, others jumped for joy, and yours truly was dodging the massive water balloon fight started by the obnoxious year 6 boys. I made it out OK, others... not so much.
I am going to St. Patrick’s holiday staff party Saturday evening along the beachfront at Terrigal, about 15 minutes away. It will be the last time I will spend with the teachers who have welcomed me with open arms since day one of my arrival in Australia. I will miss my teacher Fiona so very much as she not only was an excellent cooperating teacher, but also became a very close friend and mom-like figure while abroad. It is so amazing the relationships you can form with someone you spend so much time with each day. It seems like just yesterday I was saying goodbye to my first graders at Monon Trail in Westfield, saying goodbye to my teacher Jennifer and Kathryn next door to us. I have wondered so very often how each of those little kiddos have been doing throughout the time I have been away and I am so very excited to go back and visit them upon return. So many students have touched my life since August and I have been so very lucky to be given the opportunity to become a part of their lives. I hope they will remember me for the things I have taught them, as I will remember them all forever.
This Sunday I will be flying from Sydney to Cairns, located at the very top of Australia. Here I will be embarking on a snorkel adventure in the Great Barrier Reef and a rainforest excursion in the Daintree Rainforest. I will return back to Sydney Wednesday evening, in time to celebrate Christmas with the Goodways.
I cannot wait to share my stories with you all from the upcoming adventures. Sending you my very best and wishing you were all here with me each day!
Love,
Jules



No comments:
Post a Comment